THIS PAGE IS FOR TOPIX VICTIMS
Not a TOPIX VICTIM but want to learn more? click here
IF YOU OR YOUR CHILD HAVE BEEN THREATENED ON TOPIX, WE NOW RECOMMEND CONTACTING THE PALO ALTO, CA POLICE DEPARTMENT AT 650-329-2413
FOR VICTIMS -- A SELF HELP GUIDE FOR RIGHT NOW
I do not work for Topix. If I did, we would not have the problem that we do. So, please do not email me asking me to delete posts (I get dozens). If I could, I would. I can only share information with you that I think will be helpful to you. I am here to try to help you and others. If you want to email me my email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that I check this box once per week only.
I am also a Topix victim so you should know that I know how you feel.
This page is intended to help you be realistic about what can be done right now, to slow down or stop the attack, to regain your sanity and to work towards a plan to solve the problem eventually:
Topix claims that they will delete posts which satisfy any of the below criteria if reported:
- HATE SPEECH
- HARASS ANOTHER USER
- FULL NAMES (NOT SCREEN NAMES BUT REAL ONES)
- ANYTHING ABOUT MINORS
GUIDELINES FOR DEALING WITH TOPIX POSTS WRITTEN ABOUT YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW
- Immediately document the abusive TOPIX post. You will use this if there is a future opportunity to participate in a class action lawsuit against Topix and for proof of what was done to you. The best way to do this is to do a full color printout of every page that bears your name, GOOGLE searches with your name (pointing to Topix) and the Topix town page that lists the link to the post against you. If you cannot print it, go to the FILE menu in your browers and click SAVE or SAVE AS. Once the post is deleted, you will no longer have proof. Keep the proof in a safe place for later.
- Use the standard TOPIX FEEDBACK REPORTING SYSTEM. The easiest way to do this is to go right to the post and click on the REPORT ABUSE button right above the post. This will bring you to their standard report feedback page. You must give a valid email address. While we don't love giving Topix our email address, especially since we did not volunteer to be part of their site but instead somebody else put our name there, we have no reason to believe that Topix is abusing this right now. You will get a receipt back, showing that your report went through. Secondly, you can do the same thing by clicking on the FEEDBACK? button at the bottom of Topix pages.
- Do not argue in your own favor on Topix. Whoever posted about you wants to fight with you. And while picking a fight in real life means that someone eventually gets too hurt to keep fighting, an online fight will go on forever. The more you post, the more they will post, the more search terms will appear about the issue and the more interesting it will become for other people to read. Remember that people who cannot defend themselves in the real world derive an extra sense of power and control when they can hide behind a website.
- Topix regulars love to debate, to argue, to minimize your feelings of being taken advantage of and they spend alot of time cyber blogging. They have learned to have a thick skin on the internet but most don't have a clue what its like to be someone who operates in a human community who suddenly has their name trashed on the internet. Do not get into debates with TOPIX regulars. Their opinion is simple: If you don't like it leave. In a way they are right, but if you think you will convince them otherwise and appeal to their sense of ethics you are wrong.
- Understand that the more active a debate on Topix, the more it might draw in ad dollars and GOOGLE searches. Just end the conversation and believe that nothing that you can add will make things better right now. Decide to fight the fight on another platform.
- If your child has been posted about on TOPIX in addition to filing an abuse report with TOPIX you need to attend to your child or teen and to insure that they get the support that they will need. Presume that the post will not come down right away and help your child with that in mind. If you have nowhere to turn to help your child email me NOW at email@example.com. I cannot provide professional assistance to you but I can help you as a friend by being there to listen, and giving you some basic guidelines on insuring that your child is protected. You may also try contacting the PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA POLICE DEPARTMENT if you believe that you or your child may be in danger because of Topix post.
- Sign the petition on our front page, contact your Attorney General and let them know what happened and how long it took Topix to respond (if they even respond). Also, check back here regularly. There may be opportunities out there for Topix victims, including those who were simply misled by what the site is.
- Please fill out our new CONFIDENTIAL TOPIX VICTIMS SURVEY to help us in the fight against TOPIX ABUSE and to be added to the contact list in the event that a class action lawsuit is intiated.
If you are deep in the throes of a really bad TOPIX post about you, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will try to give you a few more pointers. Warning: I only check mail once a week so be patient. There are some ways to manipulate an end to the conversation if its really heated but I wont post them here. Unfortunately, I have no ability to get an individual post removed for you. If I could, I would not need this website.
Your most important course of action is to get this information out there, to contact your ATTORNEY GENERAL, to contact your LAWMAKERS and to SIGN THE PETITION. In all likelihood, each of us will have to wait until ALL of the abusive posts are archived or removed and few of us will see that happen individually. This may be a hard pill to swallow, but it is a realistic one. Topix has not demonstrated that they care about their users, they care about the money that their website is generating and the power that they have over the internet.